Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Beauty Schooled- August 2014 Ipsy Bag Review

Hello Lovelies! 
I have been subscribed to Ipsy since May of 2012 and over time there have been good months, and bad ones. This particular month I do like the theme, but I am not overly thrilled with the execution and choice of products, but for the price I pay I am always pleased.  For only $10 a month I get the opportunity to try new products and test out new brands that I wouldn't normally purchase on my own. Sometimes I can tell as soon as I open my bag that their are certain products I wont like, those products I collect and give away, but sometimes I find products that I fall in love with. 
Let's start by discussing the bag that came this month. I am a huge fan of polka dot print, and I think this is adorable, although it really doesn't fit the particular theme. I would have preferred to see a bag with a cutesy book print, maybe something a little more colorful and artistic. I also detest the material of these bags, I much prefer when they use fabrics. 
I always love when I get to try out new lip balms, as they are one of my essential beauty products. I love this tin, although it is a little big to be kept in my makeup bag in my purse on a daily basis. I am glad I received the Green Apple Absolute Lip Balm not only because I love the scent, but the light pink tint is very complimentary to my skin tone. I am impressed with this balm as it is moisturizing, but it doesn't leave that sticky feeling like some lip balms tend to do. I also am super excited about this balm because stamped directly on the bottom of the cute tin is a little bunny symbol that says "against animal testing" and that always makes me happy to see. I definitely could see myself purchasing this in the future, and I would love to try out the other flavors (grape, strawberry, and bubblegum) especially since they are only $5.99 for a two pack. 
This here is the Dr. Brandt Pores No More pore refiner primer for oily/combination skin. I myself have combination skin,  my cheeks and parts of my forehead tend to be dry, while my t-zone can get a bit shiny. This pore refiner says it will minimize the appearance of pores, blur imperfections, erase shine and mattify skin, absorb oil, and even act as a shield to prevent makeup from clogging your pores. The product directs you to apply either under or over your makeup, and throughout the day as needed. I decided I would wear this under the makeup as I would a typical primer, and I was impressed with how smooth my face felt and appeared. I continued to work on my makeup and realized I didn't feel the need to apply as much foundation or see the need to apply my Makeup Forever finishing powder as I normally do to get the matte look I like. I am thoroughly impressed with this product, but I do find it to be a bit pricey ($45 for 1oz.)  
If you have followed me for a bit you may know that I am a huge fan of Coastal Scents products, so its always great to get stuff from them. If you have never tried products from them they are definitely a great company for all sorts of makeup enthusiasts as the products are high-quality, but affordable. I have made many purchases in the past from Coastal Scents, especially since they frequently have sales, and they are one of the main brands I recommend to people. Although the  brown shade of blush isn't really fitting to my pale skin tone, the pink shade works quite well for me. These Forever Blushes are highly pigmented and come in various different shades, and I guarantee you can find a shade you will adore also. 
Every so often I get the opportunity to try a product from a brand I have never heard of before, and this liner is one of those products. This mini kajal kohl-liner in black is from Lord & Berry and I was quite excited to try it out as eye liner is essential to me. In the past couple years I have grown to love marker-like pencils, or liquid liner, but I am always willing to test out a pencil. Unfortunately, this particular one kind of fell short for me, I didn't think it was dark enough and it smudged quite easily, so, it doesn't work well for me personally as I typically rock a cat eye, but I think this could be a good liner to use when creating a sultry smokey eye look. 
Last, but not least, is the Urban Decay Perversion Mascara, and I must say I love UD products. I love receiving mascaras because I wear them on a daily basis, even when I don't exactly feel like wearing makeup. This mascara is exactly what it says it is, it's bigger, badder, and blacker, I have no complaints. 
Here is a simple look using all of the Ipsy bag products along with: 
Kat Von D Lock-It Tattoo Foundation in Light 
Pacifica Natural Beauty Eye Shadow Duo #2 (Received in a past bag) 
Benefit Gimme Brow in Medium



No comments:

Post a Comment